Blueberries have always been known to have a high antioxidant and phytochemical content. This provides many health benefits.
Research on blueberries have shown interesting results:
- Blueberries can help control high cholesterol levels
- Prevent the onset of colon cancer
- Reduce the risk of urinary tract infection and heart disease
- Reduce the damage caused by strokes
- Help to put off Alzheimer’s disease
It has to be noted that all these studies have been conducted only on animals.
An extract made from red grapes has also been studied and may help to reduce the risk of heart disease. The extract may be more powerful and beneficial than drinking red wine.
An extract made from the seeds and skin of red grapes was studied on humans:
- adults had a 5 percent reduction in blood pressure
- their total cholesterol also reduced by up to 14 percent
- LDL cholesterol was reduced dramatically
The results from taking red grape extract were better than taking health supplements containing antioxidants and fiber.
Red grape has been touted for a long time as a superfood because of its antioxidant content. These studies support that the antioxidant present in red grape is connected to decreased risk of heart attack and cancer and reduction in inflammation and blood sugar.